I have been trying out kindle app on my android phone, by buying antifragile e-book. I have generally have a negative idea of paying for a DRM locked e-book, mostly because of the control i give up.
1.highlight colour must be change able for the highlighted text
2. I like the partition/page/parts numbering method.
3. I hate the time lag it takes for the kindle app to switch layout..
4. Seriously, you have to wipe out my highlighted notes/comments? can’t you find a way to sync them too .. that’s lame..*
5. And for the love of god, why did you have to zoom into the selection text, when i am trying to highlight.. you’re just making it painful for me to choose till which point to highlight.
6. learn from the moon reader app with regards to note-taking and highlighting..
7. Again page turning moon reader app has a cool animation
But most of all i pay almost the same price as a hardcopy book , but can’t share it with a friend without really sharing my device? Please put in an ability to transfer it to another device.
And more importantly, it spooks me that am at your mercy to remove my book. I know there haven’t been any incidents(after that one time), but no am not buying a kindle for myself.
* — Ok, i was wrong, i wasn’t using bookmarks, but highlighting and notes.. and to your credit you do have the last read page in memory fine.
UPDATE: ok , i am a convert. The convenience of e-books is undeniable, even though the physical book is irreplaceable.
For a bibliophile, the ability to carry around a set of books on hand is very convenient for evaluating new books to be added to the physical library.. So only thing remaining is if i am ok with the books pricing on kindle, given the fact that they have the power to wipe it out /take it back when i connect next.
UPDATE 2: OK, for all my conversion, i miss the ability to open a random page in a book and read.(Much like Gabriel Betteredge in “Moon Stone” does with every copy of his book “Robinson Crusoe”). I guess, i can still use kindle’s goto -> Location -> and type in a random number.
But it still doesn’t seem as quick and straightforward…. hmm..perhaps because i have already done the kindle equivalent of opening a book. I suppose it would be a good idea to get this option before touching the book icon within kindle. some kind of circular motion perhaps or double-tap/touch?? Hmm.. might work..